Enhanced rock weathering is a nature-based carbon removal technology that permanently locks away CO₂ from the atmosphere
1. In areas primarily composed of degraded pastures, which were deforested decades ago by local landowners for cattle breeding purposes, we extract our raw material, a naturally occurring silicate mineral.
2. Using Cambridge Tech technology to achieve the ideal particle size for enhanced weathering and optimized nutrient release, we finely grind our raw material.
3. These finely ground particles are then applied to farmlands. Once applied to soils, they are exposed to atmospheric CO2, initiating the enhanced weathering process.
4. Chemical weathering reactions take place, converting atmospheric CO2 to dissolved bicarbonate and releasing nutrients into the soil.
5. Bicarbonate ions are naturally transported to the oceans through hydrological processes.
6. In the ocean, bicarbonate ions react with calcium (Ca2+) and magnesium (Mg2+) ions.
7. This reaction leads to the formation of stable mineral carbonates, such as calcite and magnesite, through a process known as carbon mineralization.
8. The mineral carbonates precipitate and become part of ocean sediments, effectively storing the captured carbon for thousands to millions of years.
We have a mineral resource that exceeds 3.32 billion tonnes, and our rock stands out for its superior weathering properties in comparison to other materials
The dissolution process of our mineral reaches completion within 7 to 12 months, a significantly shorter timeframe compared to other minerals that may take decades to fully dissolve under similar conditions.
Analyses performed on our products at Newcastle University have confirmed the efficiency to extract CO2 from the atmosphere at a ratio of 120kg of CO2 per tonne of product
This independent study was conducted under the leadership of Prof. David Manning, PhD, a leading expert in ERW.
Our mineral resources hold a total carbon removal potential of 0.40 Gt of CO2
With our current installed production capacity of 3.00 Mt per year, we already have the capability to capture and offset up to 0.36 Mt of CO2 annually.
The dissolution process of our products is completed within a timeframe ranging from a few months to just over a year.
The speed of mineral dissolution is directly linked to the capture of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, as faster dissolution results in more rapid CO2 absorption.
When applying the same analytical approach to olivine, one of the primary silicates with a faster reaction rate, the same dissolution timescales are on the order of years to decades.
The research was conducted by Dr. Phil Renforth, a renowned expert in enhanced weathering and negative emission technologies. He is also the leader of the Carbon Dioxide Removal Research Group at Heriot Watt University’s Research Centre for Carbon Solutions.
With our technological manufacturing process, we accelerate a natural geological process that has been ongoing for millions of years, providing a faster and more efficient carbon capture solution.
Our carbon capture solution guarantees effective carbon mitigation for over 1,000 years. The durability of our CO2 sequestration is demonstrated through the production of bicarbonate, which removes carbon from the biological cycle and mineralizes it.
Our project is scalable and cost-effective, relying on renewable zero-emission hydropower for 100% of our electricity needs.
Our raw material has a faster dissolution rate compared to other minerals, as proven by agronomic trials and potassium release studies. Additionally, our products undergo meticulous particle size control during the manufacturing process, ensuring a consistent particle size distribution, essential for optimal carbon capture.
In addition to their carbon capture capabilities, our products serve as sources of potash, an essential nutrient for plants. When applied to soils, they contribute to the growth of healthier and higher-yielding crops.
Carbon credits enable the production and sale of products with lower potassium grades that are uneconomical.
Our solution has no adverse effects on the environment. They are also certified organic by various governmental and non-governmental organizations.
Our products have certified mineral reserves, which assures their consistent mineralogy, carbon capture effectiveness, and absence of contaminants.
Carbon Removal for Farmers
Our products serve as a source of salinity-free potassium for plants. When applied to soils, they have a positive impact on soil health by improving fertility and enhancing nutrient availability, while simultaneously removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.
Let us handle the application
We’ll cover the costs associated with product delivery and application on your farm. You can also trust us to handle the logistics, making the process convenient and hassle-free for you.
Fill out the form below and we’ll be in touch.
Become a net zero business
By utilizing our technology, you can access high-quality carbon removal credits that offset CO2 emissions on a permanent basis.
Fill out the form below and we’ll be in touch.